Saturday, June 15, 2013

Meet Nikk Nelson: Hair Extraordinaire, Rising Star


Atlanta, GA (PRWEB) April 19, 2013

It has been a rollercoaster since starting my career, said Nikk Nelson, owner of Pressed Natural Hair Care Salon in Atlanta. There have been ups and downs, highs and lows, ins and outs, broke and not broke. (laughs) But I never would have thought that this little boy from Dawson, Ga. would make it this far and have the opportunity to work with some of the individuals I have worked with since starting my career.


Nelsons path has proven to be quite rewarding indeed. Not only has the widely known hairstylist been the personal stylist of Angela Simmons for the past four years, his growing fame as part of Simmons Glam Squad landed him a part in BETs 2013 Rip the Runway segment, From the Subway to the Runway.


Filming for the show was spectacular, said Nelson. It all took place in one day in downtown New York. The segment we did had a Mission Impossible, Oceans Eleven, James Bond feel to it. We grabbed an unsuspecting victim off of the subway and took her to a secret location for makeover. The young lady we chose was open to anything so we had a lot of fun working with her.


The show, hosted by Kelly Rowland and Boris Kodjoe, aired Wednesday, March 20 at 10 p.m. on BET. Parts of the From the Subway to the Runway segment ran throughout the show, highlighting the progress of the subjects makeover from start to finish.


BET did a great job with this show and I was thrilled to be a part of it.


Nelson had a viewing party at his salon, located in northwest Atlanta, the night of the shows airing.


The support that I have received from my friends, family and those I work with has been amazing, he said.


The Terrell County, Ga. native graduated with a bachelors degree in biology in 2000.


After receiving my bachelors I moved to Atlanta and tried to follow my dream of becoming a dentist. (laughs) I started working as a lab assistant and eventually worked my way up to a lab manager, but I always felt like I had more to offer. Around the time I was doing this, my dad helped me get a new car a Lexis. Two days after getting the car, I was fired from my job.


For Nelson, this moment was the best thing that ever happened to him.


To me, it was an opportunity for me to refocus the direction of my life. I always had a knack for doing hair. I cut and braided hair in college and I knew I was good at it, so I decided to go to hair school. Two days after being fired, I enrolled in hair school and a week later I was in class.


Nelson got a job at another lab to pay the bills. For the next year, he worked in the lab from 3 a.m. to noon and then went straight to hair school for class.


I came out in 2003 and started styling in 2004.


Nelson opened his first salon, IICONS Boutique Hair Salon, with two partners in 2009. In 2011, he left to open Pressed Natural Hair Care, which specializes in hairstyles for natural hair. In a little more than two years, the shop is one of Atlantas leading salons and is now recognized nationally for natural styles and hair care.


This experience opening Pressed and building my team has been phenomenal. I have some great people who work alongside me. And I dont say work for me because we are a team and this is a team effort.


Whats next for Nikk Nelson?


I just got a manager, who is helping me further my career, said Nelson. Im such a go-getter that I cant stop with one thing. Now that I have my salon, I need products. I need endorsements.


Nelson mentioned that the salon has already had some exciting experiences.


Pressed was featured on the season finale of Real Housewives of Atlanta. Our salon manager, Kyaira Brown, actually does Porshas hair. In fact, our in-house makeup artist, Aisha Phillips, does Porshas makeup and was featured in a prior episode.


Nelson added that the world can look forward to more from Pressed in the future.


I plan to continue to grow and educate on hair care because I believe that it is not just about doing peoples hair. Its about building relationships and being genuine with people.


For more about Nelson and his salon, visit http://www.pressednaturalhaircare.com .







No comments:

Post a Comment